Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Just a little reflection

I was thinking the other day how grateful I am that I am surrounded by friends/family who value the kind of experiences offered through this blog. Thank you for your feedback that reaffirms that for me.

I remember a time not too many years ago when "thrifty" people might be called "cheap".  I was at a dinner party a few months ago (Thank you Andy and Caley) and the topic came up about how coupons are cool. Groupon, Living Socially and the like are really making an impression on our society. It's fun to know where a great deal is and even better when you can get it. It often feels like an achievement. How often do we say upon hearing "I love your shirt" --- "I got it for $7.99 at TJ Maxx!"  A decline in the economy has us thinking again, rather than pretending and trying to convince everyone else that we all have money trees growing in our back yard.

One of my friends just got engaged. Whoopee! A few days later a Groupon appeared in my inbox for a sweet deal on a manicure. I bought it for her, printed it out, and put in a card that I sent via snail mail. She'll know it's a Groupon...it says it plain as day. She'll love her manicure and she'll love that I got a deal. I don't have to hide that. That makes me glad.

No comments:

Post a Comment