Monday, August 6, 2012

Living off of $20-the outcome

This past week, I challenged myself (and maybe you) to see if you could spend $20.00 or less in 5 days. Here's that challenge.  In some ways, I failed my own challenge and in another way I didn't.
I spent $35.00. Here is the week at a glance. (It's probably important to mention that my husband was out of town all week on business.)

Monday: Kickball playoffs and we won! We celebrated with the team but I stuck to water and had a beer from the pitcher. Tossed in the $2.00 that my friend handed me (owed me) when we were at the bar. So far so good.

Tuesday: I have a little hand injury and went to OT. Copay $20.00. Did you notice it's just Tuesday? I totally forgot about that part of the week. Our team  also had playoff game number 2. We didn't win, but we celebrated the end of our season. I celebrated with water and Big League Chew while everyone else ate the yummy bar food. I may or may not have mooched some fries and a few nachos.




Wednesday: I woke up knowing that Wednesday was the day I was meant to leave the office and go out for lunch-a rarity. Sarah, my coworker, is leaving the the company and this was her goodbye lunch. I struggled with what to do. Pack my lunch and just sit with them at the restaurant? Ask if we could go another day? Nothing felt like the right answer. The right answer was to celebrate with my friend like we had planned. She is so excited to be moving on. Sometimes, living consciously means you celebrate people and not save your money. Done and done. Sarah was more important than the contest. That felt clear (and then there was our other coworker Erin saying to me..."the copay shouldn't count!!!!!"  That Erin can be pretty convincing. ) Wednesday night, I took a meal to Abby, who tore her ACL playing kickball for our team. That had also been on the calendar for a few weeks. I sat with her and her roomies. More Olympics.

Thursday: Nothing eventful --just a day at the office with my lunch packed and home to watch the Olympics. No money spent.

Friday:  I made the offer to a friend a few weeks ago that I would keep her children so she could have a date with her husband. A little dinner with them, some fun with the kids before bedtime and then a cozy night of Olympic watching. No money spent.

Eating lunch with Sarah and Erin was wonderful-such fun girls -and am I glad about the decision I made.  And it's not so bad to have a friend like Erin who can spin things for you.
I mean really, if you think about it the $20 will be reimbursed with the flexible spending plan...

Give me a B minus.

How did you do?



No comments:

Post a Comment