Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Let my mom be the hero

My husband wears a suit and tie to work everyday. Wouldn't you complain?

He never does.

But I do.

About the dry cleaning bills.

It's ridiculous.

I asked my mom if she used to iron my dad's shirts when he wore a suit and tie to work everyday. Go figure, she did. Ugh. Yes, she worked full time as an oncology nurse (exhausting). Yes, she had dinner on the table at 5:30 every night. Yes, she raised two kids.

Then there's me, writing this blog about "living consciously" thinking-"If I didn't write this blog, I would have time to iron my husband's shirts and then I wouldn't complain about the dry cleaning bills. "

I'll let my mom be the hero. I'm going to keep writing and going to keep complaining.

But, I do try to do some things from time to time to help with that cost to our spending. I have this great blouse that says  "dry clean only".  "Dry clean only" -that's just a suggestion, right?  (One time, Bethany Frankel said about "suggested retail price"---that she had another suggestion. I died.)

Anywho.

The blouse needed a washing, so I found one of those lingerie bags in the laundry room. Put the blouse in the bag, set my machine to delicate and hung it up to dry.







And guess what...it was fine. Just fine.

 I won't be deceived by the tag. And most importantly, I won't iron and starch my husband's work shirts. I'll let my mom be the hero. She deserves it anyway.

2 comments:

  1. Love it! Just realized recently that our new washer was very gentle and okay for my delicate shirts! What about trying to get the dry cleaning in on days when it's discounted? ( :

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Rach-i didn't mention that but we DO do that. It still costs a billion dollars.

      Delete