Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Making twenty dollars in twenty minutes

I bought $37.55 worth of items at Kroger the other day. I only paid Kroger $16.85. It took about 20 minutes at home, planning my trip. That means I saved $1.00/minute, while I was watching TV. My employer doesn't pay me that.


Coupons: you love 'em or you hate 'em.


Some argue that if you just buy the store brand, you'll save as much money with a lot less hassle. In some cases that is absolutely true. However, I got two containers of Pillsbury Crescent Rolls for 5 cent (2.5 cent for each of them). I got a frozen pizza for 63 cent and a box of General Mills Honey Nut Cheerios for 64 cent. I got 5 Fiber One protein bars and paid 28 cent for each of them. Store brands can't offer that kind of savings so sometimes coupons are a valuable tool.


I will expand more on couponing in a later blog, but if you can start with these two simple changes today, you will see some cost savings:


  1. Shop the circular.
  2. Load your bonus card with electronic coupons by going to your grocer's website and clicking a few buttons.

No comments:

Post a Comment