Friday, July 13, 2012

Pennies that paid off a mortgage


photo credit

I had never saved loose change until this year. I was pretty good about using it and so none really accumulated. Just open up the loose change section of my wallet and give it to the cashier--no big deal. I got married in December and have realized that men don't really have this option. Change goes in their pocket and unless they are insanely organized, they aren't going to transfer that change to tomorrow's pants. So, we now have a change jar. I thought I was pretty brilliant when I announced my idea that we could save the change throughout the year and then use it to celebrate our anniversary. I figure by then, we'd at least have enough for a nice dinner. So, that's my plan. Notice, I say "my plan" because my husband is way too laid back to throw his hat in the ring in regards to something like that.

I guess we will see if we come close when our one year anniversary rolls around in December.

So, here I am thinking I am so smart, until I read this. A Massachusetts man has been saving his pennies since 1977, when he bought his house. He recently used about 62,000 pennies to make his last mortgage payment. That was 800 pounds of pennies.

It's always good for the soul when you think you are being brilliant and  someone else goes and nips that in the bud.

Although as I think about it a little more, I would never want to have that much money laying around my house. Talk about a Nervous Nelly.

Do you have a change jar? What are you plans for it?

No comments:

Post a Comment