Friday, January 11, 2013

Free money for walking in stores

About a month ago, I told you about a free app called Shopkick for Android and iPhone users. I have been using it this month and can now officially report how great it is.

Read the post, but briefly, it is an app that allows you to earn points for walking in stores like Macy's, Old Navy, Target, Best Buy, Crate and Barrel etc. Every point accumulates over time and you redeem your points for gift cards.

Before I say another word...no personal information is exchanged. You give no one your credit card number, your home address etc. It's all done using the app.

For example, the other day a shopkick user could earn 200 points for walking into Target. That is the equivalent of $.80, because every 500 points you gain earns you a $2.00 gift card. Once you are in Target, you can actually earn more points by scanning items throughout the store, but that is really up to you.

So, after using the app for a little more than a month, I earned 4000 points. That is worth a $16 gift card. We decided to redeem those points toward a purchase at Best Buy this past weekend. I handed the cashier my phone and showed him that I had a $16 credit to Best Buy. He entered some numbers from my phone that act as the redemption code and boom!


This is our receipt. "SK cert $2.00" means that I had eight $2.00 shopkick certificates, so $16.00 subtracted from our total purchase.

You can choose gift cards from lots of vendors the site offers. We just happen to choose Best Buy that day. If you are interested in having the app, let me know and I will send you the link. You get 50 shopkick points right off the bat if a friend signs you up.

We ended up combining some other offers and were able to deduct another $20.00 from our purchase. I'll tell you about that on Monday!

4 comments:

  1. i would like to get the app. do you get points, took if i sign up through you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shopkick offers different deals at different times for referring friends. Right now you get 50 kicks if I refer you, or so it tells me. I will send you the link via email. Just open it on your smart phone and the app downloads with just a few easy steps. You can also get points for swiping thru these "lookbooks" they have on the site. Kind of like catalogs. My friend signed up this morning and she already has 78 points just from sitting at her desk and looking at these lookbooks on her phone. I do it when I waiting for a dr's appointment etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sign me up too, sounds great. charadam@aol.com

    I love your blog and all of your money saving tips.

    ReplyDelete