Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Driest Summer on Record

Not to long ago, I posted this and encouraged you to "grow something and eat it".

I showed a picture of my dad's garden. He sent the data of what his garden yielded and I thought it was worth mentioning.  Here's a picture of the garden to jog your memory:




30 cabbage

353 Yellow Squash

50 Zucchini Squash

301 Cucumbers

27 Green Peppers

630 Tomatoes

94 lbs. of Green Beans

133 lbs. of Potatoes

540 ears of Corn

My dad ran some numbers, because he loves to run numbers, and estimated that the cost of buying those at your local supermarket would cost the customer about $1300.  The craziest part is that he and my mom harvested all of that but knew the garden could have given them so much more, if not for the fact that it was the driest summer on record in Roanoke, VA.

Although, something tells me they didn't go hungry this summer.












No comments:

Post a Comment